Renting a moving truck – tips and tricks
If you’re looking for ways to cut costs when relocating, you might think about moving on your own. However, before you even consider doing this, it’s necessary to learn everything about the DIY move. We’ll be honest with you – learning how to pack the right way will be the least of your worries. Once you start packing, the amount of moving boxes and stuff to pack might surprise you! Therefore, in order to pack everything you own, you’ll need enough packing materials and a moving truck to transport everything! And, when it comes to renting a moving truck, it’s necessary to learn on what to pay attention to when doing this. In order to help you find the truck of the finest quality, we have prepared a comprehensive guide regarding this topic. Make sure to read carefully and take notes!
Carry out your own research on renting a moving truck
Unfortunately, renting a moving truck is not as easy as it sounds. However, once you learn the basics, you’ll know all that’s necessary for finding the one that’ll suit you the most. One of the first things you’ll want to do is carry out your own research. It is important to determine the size of the truck you’ll need. To do this, you’ll first need to make an inventory list and write down all of the things you’ll be moving to the new place. After this, inform yourself of the truck sizes and find the one that’ll suit you best. Be careful when determining the right size. If the truck is too small, you won’t be able to put inside all of your belongings. On the other hand, if the truck is too big, you’ll have a lot of unused space and you’ll spend more money than it’s necessary.
Your research won’t end here. You’ll also want to check the truck rental company before you decide to work with them. It’s like checking every moving company in order to find the most reliable movers NYC for your upcoming move. This is something that shouldn’t be avoided at any cost! Scammers exist and by checking truck rental companies you’ll keep fraudulent ones away from you.
Make sure to ask the right questions before renting a moving truck
So, you have found a truck rental company with the best deals. What’s next? There’s nothing worse than signing a contract before having a thorough talk with the company’s representative. Use this chance to ask anything regarding the truck rental! Here are only some of the questions you’ll want to ask before renting a moving truck.
- Size – make sure to check whether a company has a truck in the size you want.
- Cost – it’s necessary to know whether gas is included in the price or whether you’ll be charged extra for additional mileage.
- Moving equipment – moving on your own will be easier if you have the right moving equipment. You should ask the truck rental company whether they rent additional equipment such as dollies or furniture sliders.
- Returns – ask whether you need to return the truck to the same facility or you can take it to some other facility. This is a very important question to ask when moving over long distances.
- Cancellation policy – in case something unexpected happens, you’ll want to know more about the cancellation policy.
Have the proper paperwork
Make sure to have all of the paperwork before you come to sign the deal. Forgetting your driver’s license is not an option! Therefore, bring a valid driver’s license, your credit card, and the proof of insurance with you. Decide ahead of time which kind of insurance you’ll get to find the best deals. Having insurance coverage is especially important for people who are in search of interstate moving companies NYC to move abroad.
Basically, we have covered the most important aspects of renting a moving truck. However, we’ll remind you of a couple of more things you’ll want to do, even though we’re sure you’re already familiar with them.
- Find the best deals. Some truck rental companies offer discounts and special offers. Make sure to ask the representative of the company you chose whether they offer them too.
- Inspect the moving truck before renting it. even though most rental providers will always do a thorough inspection, you’ll want to look for possible damages too. Check both the interior and exterior, and don’t forget about the tires!
- Book in advance. As soon as you determine the date of your move, start looking for truck rental companies. Renting a moving truck ahead of time is necessary if you’re planning to move during the busy season, such as summer months.
Will you be the one who’ll drive the moving truck?
If you’ll be the one who’ll be driving, here are some additional tips that’ll be useful to you. As you probably already know, there are different types of CDL licenses for different types of vehicles. Therefore, if you want to drive the truck you’ll need to pass an exam and a specialized driving skills test. Make sure to come up with a plan on what you’ll do if you have to drive a truck during the bad weather. Next, take some time to familiarize yourself with the vehicle you have just rented. Adjust the mirrors and the seat, figure out how to turn the lights on and off. You’ll want to make sure that everything is working properly before hitting the road!
There you have it, these are all of the tips you need for renting a moving truck with ease! Make sure to read everything carefully and don’t rush things if you’re not moving in a hurry. And, in case you change your mind, you can always rely on DA Moving NYC and let us deal with your move while you sit and relax.